MYONICHIKAN
LOUNGE HALL
DINING HALL
MEMORIAL ROOM
AUDITORIUM
RESTORATION WORK

Myonichikan suffered little damage from the Great Kanto Earthquake in 1923 and also escaped damage by attacks during the Pacific War. However, the buildings have stood for almost 80 years, and many damaged areas remarkably appeared. Therefore, restoration work was conducted from January 1999 through September 2001, in accordance with the Cultural Agency's restoration guidelines for cultural assets.
 
Generally, several surveys, such as building structure, land subsidence and material condition, are conducted to identify the original structure, techniques and specifications, as well as some later repair and alteration work. At the same time, archives are also investigated. Based on such results, the principles for restoration work are planned.
 
Almost one year was spent for examination of the Myonichikan buildings during dismantling. Based on the result, the restoration work was planned in such a way as to use the original materials and techniques to the extent possible, but also to address how the buildings were to be utilized in the future. In particular, the principles of this work were as follows; 1) The buildings were restored to preserve their cultural value. 2) Sufficient structural reinforcement was added to make the buildings more durable, and some problematic parts were replaced for better upkeep. 3) Some parts of the site and the buildings were modified for improved utilization.

Rm1925, main building
Structure
Main building
Roofing on the west wing
Lounge hall, main building
Fireplace
East building
Corridor
Plaster over the wall Main building
Painting on wooden materials